Sunday, August 20, 2006

Salty-Sweet Relief


I'd gone like four or five days without eating any Asian or Asian-inspired food, and that's long enough.

Trout teriyaki would fix all that. As I marinated the fish and got the grill ready, I gathered every kind of allium I could find, all from the farmers' market -- red and white onions, garlic, shallots -- and simmered them slowly in teriyaki sauce until everything had melted together into the ultimate condiment. I also tried a recipe from The Japanese Kitchen for eggplant with miso, which turned out great.

The trout skin, my favorite part of the fish, stuck to the grill as usual -- the reason why I usually opt to use the broiler -- but I was able to spin the grill rack around to get the skin away from the flames, and then I just carefully peeled the skin off. This was a happy little accident, as rather than scorching or even destroying the precious outer layer, I got to enjoy perfectly crisp, just-this-side-of-too-burnt skin. I don't think Margy minded that I kept most of it to myself. She had plenty of other things to keep her busy.

No comments: