Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Real Quiche Does Get Eaten


Do people still talk about that book Real Men Don't Eat Quiche?

Probably not. They probably don't talk about the companion volume, Real Women Don't Pump Gas, much either. Why? Because these concepts are ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I understood this even way back in '82, when Quiche appeared one day on the kitchen counter at a friend's house. I remember looking at the cover and, without being able to articulate it of course, knowing some smug author was trying desperately to be clever. But still, I thought, Why not? Why don't real men eat quiche?

And gosh, why don't real women pump gas? Hey, wait -- what is a "real" man, or a "real" woman?

I don't know. All I can say is this: Margy's Italian quiche is so good that it appeals equally to both sexes, and, in fact, would surely appeal to both real and unreal members of both sexes. There's one more piece in the freezer -- we might have to stage a battle of the sexes to determine who gets to eat it.

No comments: