Monday, April 24, 2006

Margy's Choice


After eating out for a few days, I was back in the saddle. To celebrate my kitchen homecoming, I told Margy she could request anything she wanted and I would make it.

She asked for veal-ricotta meatballs.

I was more than happy to oblige. Anyway, I needed to improve upon my texturally shaky first attempt at such meatballs. Part of the problem was that I'd used too much ricotta, so I played it safe this time. And since my last meatballs flattened while cooking, I took a tip from Alton Brown and let this batch firm up in the fridge for 10 minutes after I'd shaped them. Both of these adjustments helped my efforts greatly. My ace in the hole was finding San Marzano tomatoes at ShopRite to use in the sauce. They just have more zing than average tomatoes, and their bright red color is unmistakable.

I must say, this was one of the finest plates of spaghetti and meatballs we've had. I give Margy the credit; I was going to grill a steak.

No comments: