Saturday, January 28, 2006

A More Delicate Meatball


On Christmas Eve, my mom told me she'd recently made veal meatballs with ricotta cheese. They were light and delicious, she said, and she suggested I try making them. I thought about it almost every day, and now I finally gave it a whirl. She was right.

I didn't even do such a great job. I think I used too much ricotta -- almost half a cup to a little over a pound of ground veal -- because my meatballs weren't quite firm enough. Once I started to fry them in oil, they flattened a bit. Plus I'm sure I worked the meatball mixture, which also contained usual suspects garlic, egg, parsley, Parmesan, and bread crumbs, a bit too much. But hey: no harm, no foul. The meatballs were indeed light and tasty, and they had an almost silky texture. Margy was thrilled with this dinner, which I rounded out by making a quick tomato sauce at my mom's suggestion and boiling pasta for the third time this week.

And soon we shall have the leftover meatballs in a sandwich!

No comments: