Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Our Official Household Dish: Turkey Keema


It must be, since we have it every few weeks without fail. It's different every time (I never use a recipe), and tonight it was unusually good.

I toasted some cumin seed in vegetable oil, then added a chopped red onion and let it get nice and brown. That might've been the secret weapon: browning. (Ah, browning.) I threw in minced garlic, ginger, and fresh chili and let that cook for a minute. Tomato paste and ground cumin, coriander, and turmeric rounded out my base, and then I added lots of ground turkey, a handful of frozen peas, and salt.

Sadly, though, the spiciness level was insufficient. I'm used to cooking with tiny but fiery Thai chilies, which leave quite an impressive path of wreckage in their wake. After several "I can see through time" meals where Margy's face was happy but tear-streaked, I've learned to be sparing with them. But I had run out, so I used ShopRite jalapeños, which are plump yet timid. Three might been enough; one certainly was not.

But that's what Sriracha Chili Sauce is for. Huy Fong Foods, Inc., in Rosemead, CA -- we love you.

No comments: