Thursday, January 19, 2006

Crispness Is Skin Deep


I keep running into this fine-looking steelhead trout, and I keep buying it. Yeah, it's farm raised, but it's also healthy, tasty... and $5.99 a pound. I pan-roasted the trout, pan-roasting quickly becoming my preferred method for cooking skin-on fish filets. I love the way the skin crisps up just right in a mixture of olive oil and butter. And this time I made a quick sauce with shallot, white wine, lemon juice, and parsley. Nothing too thick, just a bit of extra flavor for the fish.

But believe it or not, this meal was based on the baked potato. That part came first -- I think I was dreaming about baked potatoes -- and then I filled in the rest.

Now that I'm taking a closer look, I realize that, for me, the potato and the trout were both playing second fiddle to their respective outer layers. It was their crispy skin I relished most! Margy doesn't even like baked potato skins. Do you?

2 comments:

Kevin Cashman said...

Excellent discovery! I love crispy skins! Who doesn't? the way I see it the world is divided into two kinds of people, those who like crispy skin and those who are against us. Let's smoke 'em out of their holes!

You didn't mention how you prepared the green beans. They look all moist and unbrowned. I believe there is a way of preparing those so they have crispy skins too.

I recently BAKED some asparagus, which I did not realize was an option until I looked it up. The results were fantastic, it's a perfect delicate layer of flavor to offset what normally happens in your mouth with our stalky friends.

It was my first time trying it so I am quite sure I can tweak the timiing and prep to reult in even MORE crispiness.

the cook said...

Ah yes. The beans were simply boiled in water for about 2-3 minutes, then dressed with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. Because Margy was unexpectedly late coming home, I killed some time by slicing the beans lengthwise, which makes an attractive presentation.

Baked asparagus -- yup! I like them to brown up a bit, so I usually shove the baking tray under the broiler for the last minute or two. That might be what you're after.