Monday, May 29, 2006

Sausage Immemorial


We thought about having ragu for dinner, but hey, this was Memorial Day, and pasta isn't so good on the grill.

So for the obligatory Memorial Day cookout, we grilled the hot sausage that was left over after Margy made her quiche. It was wise to cook it now, since fresh Italian sausage doesn't age well. Even frozen, I find it has to be used within a relatively short window or it loses its mojo.

I'm glad to say the mojo was well intact at this point, but, just in case, I prepared a fiery topping for our sausage sandwiches: sautéed onions, mushrooms, and hot peppers. The chilies I have are incendiary, so I figured I'd remove the seeds to cut the heat and use more chilies than I normally would in order to get more pepper flavor. Well, the fire remained! But just the right amount.

We had the sandwiches with broccolini (a rarity for us because it costs so damn much, but we love it) and potato chips. And the rolls were so fresh that they got crispy on the side that hit the grill but stayed all soft and supple on the other side.

No comments: