Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Vaguely Southeast Asian


According to an article I read last year, scientists have observed that animals instinctively try to give themselves the types of nutrition that they are lacking. For example, if they've gorged on protein, the next time they feed they will naturally seek roughage, or fat. That was me. I wanted to get Margy and me the things we didn't have in France. Like vegetables.

Mind you, I am not blaming France for this. I'm just saying that we had to let a few things go in order to focus on others.

So I knew I wanted something Asian, butterless, preferably with rice as the only starch. I thought I'd make Margy a squid stir-fry. She loved the idea.

It came out okay. I cooked the squid correctly -- meaning, fast -- which helps. But I was too laissez-faire with the sauce. I couldn't find the Mark Bittman recipe I was looking for as a guide, so I just combined what seemed like the right amounts of the right ingredients (lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce, fresh chilies).

It was good, but it wasn't great. Next time I need a better plan, with more exact seasoning ratios. I like the inexact science of cooking, but sometimes it comes back to bite me. The important thing is, we got our vegetables. I had three helpings of green beans.

I hope one day I'll come home from Southeast Asia and want to eat a hamburger and french fries.

No comments: