Monday, July 17, 2006

Taco Night


I can't remember the last time Margy and I have spent so many days apart, and so our reunion was sweet indeed. A proper supermarket run was out of the question -- I just didn't feel like dealing -- so we stopped by Whole Foods for a few things on the way home from the train station.

I asked Margy what she wanted for dinner, and she suggested tacos. Brilliant! We got some ground pork, since all the bigger cuts of pork were astronomically expensive, plus taco shells, canned chipotle sauce (I'd hoped to find whole chipotles, but no luck), avocados, and cheddar cheese. Back at home we made guacamole and saffron rice while I cooked the pork with onions, garlic, a pinch of cumin, and the chipotle sauce.

Taco night is always great fun, and this might have been our finest effort, thanks largely to the chipotle sauce and homemade guac, but next time I'm going to bite the bullet and shop for real at ShopRite. The Whole Foods selection wasn't that great, and the prices were ridiculously high. And I was most disappointed to find that their good-looking organic carrots tasted like cardboard. We did get some pretty good apricot fruit leather, though.

No comments: