Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pork Week Travels East


Margy was starting to panic. Night was falling and she hadn't eaten pork all day. So, along with her sister, who was in town on business, she went to Katsuhama, the best place in NYC for the Japanese pork cutlet called tonkatsu. It's a simple restaurant, but its deep-fried offerings are second to none -- crisp, greaseless, and delicious. And the many accompaniments, including the tangy tonkatsu sauce that occupies a ceramic pot on every table, make things even more fun.

The sauce is like a Japanese A1, only better -- a thick, sweet-savory condiment made with onions, tomatoes, apples, and spices. (Why can't I stop drooling?) And then there's the rice, the miso soup with scallions, the pickles, and the shredded cabbage with onion dressing.

Okay, enough. I will write more about this wonderful pork mecca when I get to go there myself. Right now I'm seething with jealousy.

No comments: