Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Sprouting Up


Tonight I thought I'd give Margy one of her favorite treats. Chocolate cake, you ask? A sundae? Nope -- Brussels sprouts!

The tiny cabbages are gaining serious ground lately, even though my mom still hates them. I understand the appeal, but I was surprised to see so many positive comments when Frank Bruni, the New York Times' restaurant critic and aspiring waiter, wrote about them recently on his blog. Now might be the time to open a joint called Sprout.

This time I served the sprouts with grilled burgers. I sliced them and cooked them in butter and olive oil, taking a tip from one of Bruni's meals and adding a dash of balsamic vinegar at the end. My dash wasn't very dashing, because it didn't make much of a difference, but now I'm primed for sprout experimentation. However, when hamburgers are on the menu, old habits die hard; I would have preferred a salad. Margy, though, was delighted.

No comments: