Friday, March 03, 2006

Thai, with a Sigh


Tonight I had a gig with the band, so I let my local Thai joint do the cooking. It's safer that way -- on gig night as any other night I invariably find myself chasing culinary butterflies, and before I know it it's a mad dash to get out the door on time.

Alas, the pork curry was bland.

It caught me off guard. I've handled a few challenges at this place -- face-melting chile levels, for one -- but blandness was a first. Though I hate when food is overly salty, I'd rather have too much flavor than not enough. Did they run out of fish sauce back there? As I picked at the underseasoned curry I fondly remembered the time I ordered a tofu dish from the same restaurant and brought it home to find it had no rice accompaniment. ("Maybe they don't give you rice with tofu dishes?" Margy said as I tried to calculate how hungry I'd be fifteen minutes after dinner.)

As for Margy, she enjoyed a flavorful burger and fries much later at my gig.

No comments: