Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Stubborn Lamb


Last time I went shopping, I spied some good-looking lamb loin chops, and they were about $10 a pound cheaper than the swankier rib chops. Two of them came home with me.

I made a marinade with olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, chopped rosemary, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and S&P, and let the lamb soak up some flavor. When Margy came home, I threw the chops on the grill. Seven minutes later, plus a few minutes of resting time, I cut into one. Oops -- raw near the bone. (We like lamb medium rare, but this wasn't it.) And by now the coals were dying, along with my patience... and Margy needed to eat.

I've gotten pretty good at cooking rib chops, but these bigger, bonier loin chops threw me a curve. They had thin bones in a few places, not just on one side, which slowed the cooking. But in the end they came out right, a little charred here and there, tender, and delicious. The marinade had done its job and enhanced that slightly gamy flavor just a bit. Lamb and rosemary really are perfect partners.

No comments: